Tonight! Broadway Comes to Seth Boyden in Parent/Staff Talent Show
2nd Annual Seth Boyden Spotlight shines a light on local talent that has made it big time.
From the Oakland Ballet to Broadway, some parents at Seth Boyden Demonstration School have serious creative credentials.
But the bright lights of Broadway haven't gone to Pollock's head. Indeed, he'll be playing Maplewood later this month, performing a song from the musical "Once" at the 2nd Seth Boyden Spotlight Parent-Staff Talent Show on Friday, January 25 at the Seth Boyden Auditorium.
Starting last year, talented parents and staffers at Seth Boyden — both amateur and professional — put their performing talents to good use for the school through a "Spotlight" show featuring none other than themselves.
Besides Pollock, some other notable performers include:
- Marco Ranieri is a singer/songwriter. He has toured with the popular bands the Shoobies and Mae Pang. Ranieri will be performing an original composition in the show.
- Peri Smilow is well known as a contemporary Jewish music performer, but she tours the country in a one woman cabaret act.
- Staff performers include Mr. Carberry, singing and playing the guitar; and Mark Quiles, Seth Boyden principal and frequent featured performer at Wyckoff YMCA productions, who will be performing two tunes from Broadway musicals, one as a duet with new teacher Jason Usdin.
- Wendy Bellermann and Josh Stout White Crane Silat from the art of kung fu.
- Kendra Thyne, former ballet company member at the Oakland Ballet and professional choreographer,will be dancing to Christina Aguillera's Beautiful; several Seth Boyden alumnae will join her.
- Ray Leone, founder of the kid's rock band Starfish, will sing a Buddy Holly Medley. His wife Susan Leone is singing also.
- The Collectives, a local jazz band, with alumni Zack Heinze at bass, will play the house music from 6:30 to 7 p.m. as people take their seats (the band includes CHS 10th graders Jack Goldberg and Sam Gomberg).
Kelly Heinze is the MC/host. Heinze has been running the Music Together program in four neighboring towns for the last 15 years. In her past, Heinze was a professional actress/singer/dancer and toured the country and abroad in many Broadway musicals.
Many of the acts are returning from last year.
The show runs from 7 to 8:30 p.m. on Friday, January 25 at the auditorium at Seth Boyden Demonstration School. Tickets are $5 per person; $15 per family (children under 5 are free). Tickets are being sold at the door and at four local retailers:
- Hair Chalet, 1632 Springfield Avenue, Maplewood, 973-763-2272
- Top Hat & Tails, 1856 Springfield Avenue, Maplewood, 973-275-0080
- Words Bookstore, 179 Maplewood Avenue, Maplewood, 973-763-9500
- Sparkhouse Kids, 15 Scotland Road, South Orange, 973-821-5227