Drunk Teens Pass Out in Cold After Leaving Essex Fells Party
Police say boys -- including a 15 year-old from Maplewood -- were hospitalized for treatment of alcohol poisoning, hypothermia. Vodka was snuck into party attended by more than 100 teens with parent home.
Two teenage boys were hospitalized Saturday night after they drank too much at a party in Essex Fells and apparently passed out in the cold, police officials said.
The boys, a 15-year-old from Maplewood and a 14-year-old from Whippany, were treated for alcohol poisoning and hypothermia, Essex Fells Chief Vincent Kulik said Monday.
Someone snuck bottles of vodka through the basement of a house where more than a 100 teens had congregated while the mother was at home, Kulik said.
“When she realized that they had booze there, she started throwing them out,” he said.
Police responded to a 9-1-1 call at about 8:41 p.m. and discovered the boys passed out in the snow. They were transported to the hospital by the West Essex First Aid Squad.
The chief said the teens had been outside for some time.
He added, teenagers and alcohol are a hazardous mix.
“These kids can’t handle this booze and it’s dangerous — very, very dangerous,” he said.