Kenneth Terrace Fire Displaces Residents
South Orange, Orange and Maplewood Fire Departments responded
A South Orange family has been displaced by a Saturday afternoon fire, according to South Orange Fire Chief Jeff Markey.
The South Orange Fire Department responded to a Kenneth Terrace fire at approximately 3:15 p.m. on Saturday, when a resident reported that her home was full of smoke.
Orange and Maplewood Fire Departments assisted. Maplewood served as the FAST team, while Orange FD provided coverage at the fire house.
The SOFD discovered fire in the kitchen ceiling, walls and adjoining pantry. There house suffered heavy fire damage to the first floor kitchen, pantry and the second floor bathroom and hallway. The entire house saw smoke damage. The basement, first and second floors received heavy water damage.
SOFD determined that the building was uninhabitable. The residents are staying at a hotel. There were no injuries.
The South Orange Building Department determined that the fire was accidental and due to an electrical malfunction of the building wiring. The fire originated in the ceiling of the first floor kitchen.