Police Reports: Two Warrant Arrests
Police made two warrant arrests last week.
Wednesday, May 20:
- A brown 1980 Mercedes Benz 450SL parked in the Beifus Motors lot on Valley Street was reported to have been burglarized via an unlocked passenger door. A Panasonic stereo was ripped out, and the car's bill of sale, registration and insurance card were taken from the glove compartment. The incident was reported to have occurred during the previous weekend.
Friday, May 22:
- An officer observed a woman in a black 2006 Infinity FX make a left turn into a parking spot on Sloan Street at about 8 p.m. and did a record check on the car, which had an outstanding warrant for $114 from Haworth, NJ. The East Orange woman was taken to the headquarters and processed.
Sunday, May 24:
- A woman at Mountain Station reported seeing an African American male, around 15 years old, carrying a violin case and attempting to cut the cable lock securing a bike on the rack at about 5:30 p.m. She also reported that the violin case appeared to be filled with burglary tools and that she saw the would-be thief walk south on Meeker Street.
- An officer on patrol at 2:30 p.m. noticed a gray 2004 Toyota Avalon with its rear passenger-side window punched in in a private lot on Prospect Street. The owner later reported that she didn't notice anything missing.
- An unidentified caller reported at about 12:30 p.m. that a 40-year-0ld African American man on a bicycle she believed had been stealing newspapers from front lawns in the area was in the vicinity of a Ward Place home. Officers stopped the man, conducted a check for outstanding warrants, and found one from the Essex County Sheriff's Office. The man — Kevin Blount of Maplewood — was taken to the headquarters and processed.
Monday, May 25:
- A Stanley Road resident reported that someone entered his backyard the previous Friday and broke into his car — stealing a Gateway laptop computer and a Canon camcorder. His wife reported hearing footsteps running down the driveway at around 1 p.m. on Friday.