SOFD Extinguish Irving Avenue Fire
Saturday morning fire was confined to the first floor bathroom.
On Saturday, just before noon, the South Orange Fire Department responded to a fire at 115 Irving Ave.
According to a report supplied by South Orange Fire Chief Jeffrey Markey, contractors at the house reported smoke coming from a wall on the first floor. Firefighters found the fire in a first floor bathroom, in the wall and the floor beams. Walls had to be knocked down in the bathroom, kitchen and basement ceiling to access the fire.
The fire was quickly extinguished by firefighters, who then did a thorough search to make sure there were no other flames. An Origin and Cause investigation conducted by the SOFD showed that the fire was determined to be in the basement ceiling of the first floor bathroom.
Interviews conducted on the scene revealed that a plumber had been making repairs to the pipes in the area of the fire earlier in the day. Construction workers on the scene noticed smoke on the first floor after the plumbers left the scene and reported the fire.
The cause of the fire was ruled accidental because of embers from a plumbers torch. Fire damage was confined to the interior walls and bathroom at the origin of the fire. The first floor and basement experienced minor smoke damage.
No injuries were reported.