The Kids Are All Right, LGBT Ice Cream Social, Sidewalk Sales, and a Forest Clean-Up
Special events and activities celebrating Father's Day and LGBT Pride month are just some of the highlights for this upcoming June weekend
A number of great to-dos to do this weekend, with Father's Day on Sunday and the continuation of LGBT Pride month.
Bhakti Barn Yoga in Millburn is offering free yoga for all dads out there, while Express Yourself Studios in Maplewood has a wonderful pizza and pottery workshop that papas and their kids can sign up for.
Congregation Beth El in South Orange hosts an ice cream social for LGBT Pride month on Saturday, with both members and non-members encouraged to join in the fun. Friday evening, St. George's Episcopal Church will be having a special movie screening of the acclaimed comedy The Kids Are All Right, starring Annette Bening, Julianne Moore, and Mark Ruffalo.
Other big goings-on over the next three days include Millburn's Sidewalk Sale Days on Millburn Avenue, Essex and Main Streets. The South Mountain Conservancy is calling for volunteers to help with their monthly Forest Regeneration, Weeding and Trail Repair efforts Sunday morning. Maplewood Memorial Library will be having an opening reception for their very special exhibit of the David Coble Collection, Fierce Creatures. And St. George's Episcopal Church will be commemorating Juneteenth this Sunday morning, following normal services.
Here's the full scoop:
- The Kids Are All Right Movie Night at Saint George's Episcopal Church: The Oscar-nominated and Golden Globe winning comedy starring Annette Bening and Julianne Moore as same-sex parents, with Mark Ruffalo as the sperm-donor dad, will be shown on the third floor of the Resource Center at Saint George's Episcopal Church this Frida evening. Fresh popcorn and a beverage will be served. Bringing your own dinner is also encouraged. Free, Friday, 7:00pm (movie starts at 7:30pm), Maplewood
- Congregation Beth El Celebrates LGBT Pride with an Ice Cream Social: In celebration of LGBT Pride month, Beth El is hosting an ice cream social and schmooze at the home of Rabbi Roston. Beth El members and non-members of all sexualities and family types are welcome and encouraged to attend this free event. For more details and to RSVP, email: BethElPride@hotmail.com. Free, Saturday, 3:00pm to 5:00pm, South Orange
- Father’s Day Dad & Me Pizza & Pottery Workshop: Celebrate Father’s Day with your child at Express Yourself Studios this Sunday. Children from ages 2-10 will create a special pottery project with Dad. All materials, plus pizza & beverages wil be provided. $25 for a Dad and child ($10 for each additional sibling) Saturday, 11:00am to1:00pm and again at 2:00pm to 4:00pm, Maplewood
- Concert at Morrow Memorial United Methodist Church: The Grove United Methodist Youth Choir from West Chester, Pennsylvania will present a concert of Contemporary Christian, Sacred Classical and World music in the sanctuary at Morrow Church. Free, Saturday, 7:00pm, Maplewood
- Opening Reception David Coble Collection at Maplewood Memorial Library: The Maplewood Memorial Library will be hosting the Opening Reception for the David Coble Collection of Fierce Creatures, given in loving memory of David Coble (1999-2005), who loved the library, helping others and Fierce Creatures. Refreshments, crafts and activities for kids will be provided. Free, Saturday, 3:30pm to 5:00pm, Maplewood
- Forest Regeneration, Weeding and Trail Repair in South Mountain: Join the South Mountain Conservancy on the third Sunday of each month to remove invasive plants, and planting, and repairing trails in the Wildflower and Forest Preserve. Location: at the dog park parking lot off Crest Drive. Long pants recommended. Water and gloves provided. All ages welcome. Call Tricia Zimic, to see if poor weather will cancel at 973-650-6106. Free, Sunday, 9:30am to 12:00pm, South Mountain Reservation
- Millburn Sidewalk Sale Days: Downtown Millburn on Millburn Avenue, Essex and Main Streets will be host for the Sidewalk sale event this year. There will be sales galore in all of the fabulous stores, along with great dining too. Shop, Dine and Enjoy Downtown Millburn. Free, Millburn
- Free Yoga for Dads at Bhakti Barn Yoga: All Yoga Classes are free to Dads on Father's Day at Bhakti Barn Yoga on Spring Street in Millburn. Free (for Fathers), Sunday, Millburn
- Juneteenth Celebration at St. George's Episcopal Church: On Sunday, St. George's Absalom Jones Committee on Black History and Culture will host a special celebration of Juneteenth, the holiday commemorating June 19, 1865, when slaves in Texas learned they had been freed two and a half years earlier in the Emancipation Proclamation. The service will be a Jazz Mass with piano, trumpet and trombone, and will feature a guest preacher: musician, dramatist and educator Inez Kerr McClendon. A festive coffee hour, hosted by the committee, will follow the service. Free, Sunday, 10:30am, Maplewood
Donald Pun lives in Maplewood and posts the event round-up column here each weekend. Previously, he was a regular contributor for the NY Times' Maplewood, South Orange, and Millburn Local blog section.