The following is a brief unofficial recap of many items that occurred or were discussed at the January 14, 2013 BOT Meeting. Official minutes will be posted online at www.southorange.org when they are available or the video can be viewed on-demand at southorange.org/videoViewer.asp
Note: Trustee Bauer was absent.
Villager of the Month was provided to the Columbia High School Robotics Team
Adoption of the 2013 District Management Corporation (SID) Budget, passed 5-0
Ordinances on Second Reading
Ordinance 2012-20 - Approving a Financial Agreement (PILOT) for the site formerly known as the Beifus site, passed 4-1 (I opposed)
Resolutions on Consent Agenda
9 items on Consent Agenda, passed 5-0
Resolution 2013-007 - Adopting the cash management plan was tabled pending further updates, 5-0
6 people were appointed to the Historic Preservation Commission (Adam Loren, Amy Dahn, Gar Hill, Peter DeCicco, Jeffrey Langsam, Bob Barnett)
- Village Hall renovation - Administrator is waiting on additional information; asbestos abatement study shows more asbestos needs to be abated than initially expected;
- 3rd/Valley Development - Approval of Redevelopment Plan modifications will be listed on agenda for Jan 28 BOT meeting
- Beifus Site - construction plans have been sent to DCA for review
- Budget Workshop to be held on Jan 22
- East Orange Water - Village Counsel shared the following update "Discovery has been stayed while Special Master attempts to bring parties to settle; last week there was a settlement conference call with all parties and began to set the stage for temporary and more permanent solution to VOC problem and address other ongoing contract concerns. Negotiations are confidential, however Counsel shared a summary memo to the BOT and Counsel will provide a more detailed memo this week."
Finance & IT
- Capital Budget targeted for next meeting
- Looking to impose a special sewer assessment of approximately $25 per household to cover expenses from Occidental Litigation
- Google email migration underway
- Creating RFP for CAD system for SOPD
Legal & Personnel
- Looking at Shared Service Agreement for Municipal Prosecutor
- Looking at Professional Service Agreements
Planning & Zoning
- Meeting to review RFP for Village Planner being setup
- Discussed Street re-paving updates (Fairview Ave to be finished this Spring. Streets to be re-paved in 2013 - Thrornden, Crest Circle, Blanchard & Turrell, which were funded in 2012. In addition, Rynda, Kingsland Ct & Kingsland Terrace will be funded and completed in 2013)
- PB and BOA update - Seton Hall and Marylawn are before the Planning Board.
- Finlay Place - Resident expressed concerns about speeding issues on Finlay Place and this was referred to the Transportation Committee.
- ICMA Best Practices Study - Administrator and Counsel will schedule a meeting to negotiate with the Union regarding schedule changes and other recommendations.
- 2011 UCR - Chief Chelel shared results of 2011 Uniform Crime Reports. Robberies for 2012 will be down and violent crime will be down for the year.
- Capital Budget Requests were submitted
- New Aerial Ladder Truck for the SOFD is expected to be delivered on January 15 and will be dedicated in the Spring.
- A Resident shared concerns about flooding that occurs on N. Wyoming Ave. This will be followed-up by the Engineer and the County.
- South Orange Disposal will be offering new plans as follows:
$24/month for 1 can, once a week
$28/month for 2 cans, once a week
$35/ month for 2 cans, twice a week
- Will be talking about raising quality of street fair
- Working on Service Level Agreement with Youthnet
- Pool Agreement with Maplewood is being finalized
- Looking at opening the Pool this year starting on Memorial Day weekend
Transportation Committee update - Dan Petersen provided the following update from the Transportation Committee:
- A RSA (Roadway Safety Audit) was done for Garfield/Tichenor/Prospect to address traffic concerns and temporary improvements have been in place since last June. They now recommend an RSA for Mayhew/SO Ave and Harding/SO Ave to review options to calm traffic entering and travelling through the neighborhood. BOT agreed to solicit vendors who can perform an RSA.
- Scotland Rd - Residents reached out to Essex County and requested a Traffic Signal at Scotland/Raymond. Warrant Analysis justified a signal and County was looking for measure of support from the Village. Transportation Committee has reviewed the request and concurs with the installation of a traffic light at that intersection. BOT will list a resolution for a vote to support this installation at the next BOT Meeting.
- Finlay Place - considering making the street one way within South Orange. Resident is surveying neighbors to gauge interest.
Open Space Advisory Committee - BOT agreed that Committee will be modified to add Trustee Rosner as a Trustee Liaison and the Village Administrator (or his designee) as a staff representative to the Committee
Old Stone House - Village Counsel will approach the Senior Citizens property for cost to purchase easement and then an RFP will be issued to gauge interest from anyone to acquire the property.
Sale of Village Property (small grassy property behind Georgio's) - Village Counsel has obtained appraisal and is now seeking proposals for a survey before the property can be auctioned.
Administrator Status Reports - Village Administrator committed to produce status reports to the BOT by the first Monday of every month.
Cablevision License Agreement and Ordinance will be heard at next meeting - This brings a cable line under First street and wraps around the parking lot to provide Cable Service to certain businesses on SO Ave.
For any questions or comments, please post below or email me at email@example.com