The following is a brief unofficial recap of many items that occurred or were discussed at the May 30, 2012 BOT Meeting. Official minutes will be posted online at www.southorange.org when they are available or the video can be viewed on-demand at southorange.org/videoViewer.asp
Michael Auer, Chair of the Citizens Budget Advisory Committee, shared recommendations from CBAC, including Guidelines for BOT expense reimbursements, SOPAC (recast debt structure and take over the building), and a policy for monetary support for Service Providers to South Orange. (See attached PDF for details)
Amendment to Introduced Budget
An anticipated PILOT which is in the process of being reinstated and was expected to be completed is not yet done. Rather than wait, Barry revised the budget to remove the anticipated revenue and replace it with additional surplus and other funds. The end result is the same 1.79% tax levy increase, with a number of adjustments between line items. Amendment passed 4-0 (I abstained since we first received the materials at 4pm and did not have adequate time to review them)
A Public Hearing and vote on the entire budget is scheduled for June 11.
Resolution for Separate Action
2012-97 - Designating Jonathan Rose as Conditional Redeveloper for 3rd and Valley (recommendation of Development Committee; escrow from redeveloper now pays redevelopment counsel costs; Village will initiate negotiations over next 6 months; developer will be invited to present plans to public before any final steps.) Passed 4-0 (Trustee Gould recused herself due to a conflict)
9 items were listed on Consent agenda , including the appointment of the following people to the SID Board: Trustee Nancy Gould at the BOT representative will serve a one-year term. Representing downtown property owners: Jared Hunter, one year; Randy Schmitz and Billy Angelino, two years; and Michael Feinberg, three years. Representing downtown business owners: Ben Salmon, one year; Matt Glass and George Berkeley, two years; and Robyn Fields, three years. Representing South Orange residents who do not own downtown property or businesses: Sam Joseph and Josh Sherman, two years. The Parking Authority also will appoint a board member. Consent Agenda passed 5-0.
- Single Stream recycling - Board agreed to permit various sized toters, but reiterated that toters are required.
- Village Administrator was contacted by The Avenue to permit a first floor use that is prohibited by the zoning in the Redevelopment Plan - Planner will be reviewing.
- Village is wrapping up contract for the Construction Manager for Village Hall renovation; Geothermal is being considered as an option within the specs; Decision on location for relocated staff will be made by the next meeting.
- Rescue Squad will no longer be able to staff Friday dayshift, starting this week. MONOC is committed to cover the gap and the contract will be amended for the next meeting.
- Next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday
- CCR to provide their Service Agreement in advance of meeting
- Subcommittee of Joint Meeting gathering on Thursday to discuss Passaic River litigation
- Creating a service level agreement with the CFO
- Meeting on June 11
Planning and Zoning
- Agreed to introduce a resolution opposing S-1534, which would allow Private Universities to be exempt from zoning applications
- Work on Fairview Avenue is awaiting finalized plans from PSE&G. There is a real possibility that the work will begin this Fall, but not complete until the Spring
- Next meeting on Monday
- Recognition Ceremony scheduled for tonight was cancelled by the PBA earlier in the day
- DPW will be working on maintenance and painting of street poles, garbage cans, bollards etc
- Meeting to be held with DPW to define and coordinate the transfer of downtown maintenance to the SID
- Sunday June 3 from 11-5 is the Artist's Studio Tour: http://www.studiotoursoma.org for more info
- SOPAC is holding Jazz at the Baird and wants to expand to Blues at SOPAC
Agenda Process - Multiple improvements to the existing process were discussed, including:
- Agenda Requests that are submitted should be copied to the full Board to eliminate duplicates and improve transparency among the Board
- Agenda Requests that are submitted must be included on the agenda, or a valid reason must be provided to the requestor
- Deadlines for additions to the agenda must be adhered to in order to prevent the current scramble by staff to make last minute updates. In addition, the agenda that is posted on Friday is for the public's benefit, as well, and should not be altered at the last minute.
Resolution 2012-013 endorsing priorities and goals - BOT to consider reviewing the goals quarterly