This article orginally ran on April 9.
With over 80 vendors featuring the latest in eco-friendly products, local restaurants serving organic food, live music, a bike rodeo, a 25-foot rock climbing wall, and loads of activities and demonstrations for all ages, Maplewood's 6th Annual Green Day promises to be the best ever.
The event -- New Jersey’s largest community green fair – is Saturday, April 27 from 11 a.m.–4 p.m. at Memorial Park in Maplewood. Organizers expect over 4,000 attendees who will learn simple ways to make more planet-friendly, sustainable choices in their everyday lives.
The event is held between Dunnell Rd. and Maplewood Ave., directly across from the NJ Transit Maplewood Station.
"Our Green Day Fair is one of the largest in New Jersey," said Deputy Mayor Kathy Leventhal. "Come enjoy the learning and fun."
Visitors can expect:
- More than 80 green vendors and exhibitors
- Bash the Trash performance/build that combines science, music, and environmental awareness for a jam with musical instruments built from trash
- Live rain forest animals by Rizzo’s Reptiles
- Kids' learning activities with the hands-on science show by Vinny Voltage
- Delicious organic and local food from over 10 restaurants including The Able Baker, Blue Plate Special, Cactus Charly Mexican, Gina's Bakery, Lickt Gelato, Lalibela, Roman Gourmet, Sona Indian Cuisine, Highland Place/Crane's, Arturo's, and Parkwood Diner, and farms including Purple Dragon CSA and the Greater Newark Conservancy Children's Farm Market
- Live bands all day: David Easton Band, Marco Ranieri Band, 8 -Bit, Hooray Henrys, Kelly Jin-Hendel
- Demonstrations including backyard composting, local food cooking, cloth diapering
- Special green deals and demonstrations
- Launch of the Adopt-a Park Site program, a volunteer litter collection project in Maplewood parks
- "Ask an Expert" with the Essex County Master Gardeners
- Part of Oakview Ave will be cordoned off for the kids to ride bikes; also, free bike tune-ups and helmets, Girl Scout bike rodeo
- A giant 25-foot tall rock climbing wall, face painting, kid’s environmental games, and much more
Organized volunteer members of the Maplewood Green Team and municipal leadership and staff, the Green Fair is sponsored by the Maplewood Township Committee, PSEG, EcoMatters, Eco Friendly Printer, Words-Maplewood’s Bookstore, Soda Stream, Waste Industries, Able Baker, NJ Clean Communities Council and PUR20.