The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning for all of North Jersey from 6 p.m. Thursday to 1 p.m. Friday.
The NWS predicts 6 to 10 inches in most North Jersey areas and blizzard-like conditions Thursday night into Friday morning with wind gusts up to 35 miles per hour and wind chills as low as 15 degrees below zero.
SOMA Schools Closed Friday
All Schools and offices will be closed for a snow day on Friday, according to the district website.
The Township of South Orange Village is reminding residents on proper procedure to follow during a snowstorm.
Cars should be parked in driveways and not in the street and residents should never blow or shovel snow into the roadway.
The following information is from the Village website:
Snow removal will begin in the Village when three or more inches of snow have fallen on Village streets. Public Works vehicles will make four passes on each street -- two down the center and one near each curb. Depending on the volume of snow, roadways will be plowed more than once. Residents are asked to heed the following guidelines:
- Park vehicles in driveways during snowfall to allow easier street cleaning.
- Delay driveway shoveling until after streets are cleaned (to avoid violation of township ordinance).
- Avoid shoveling or blowing snow into the street (to prevent violation of township ordinance).
- Tell private contractors not to pile snow in roadways.
- Park your car to avoid protruding into the roadway or blocking the sidewalk.
- Always shovel sidewalks within 12 hours of daylight after a snowfall.
- Important: Walkway and driveway shoveling allow emergency services to access homes in the event of a fire, illness, or public safety emergency.
- Salting of roadways will begin prior to snow plowing.
Jitney And Bus Services
Thursday evening service will run on normal schedule and routes. If storm intensifies, buses will switch to Snow Emergency Route Service, the Village stated on its website.
The Senior bus service for Friday is cancelled.
Check back with South Orange Patch or the South Orange Village website to see if the Friday morning jitney service is cancelled.
NJ Transit Cross-Honoring TicketsNJ Transit is cross-honoring tickets through Friday, according to its website.
Customers can use their ticket or pass on an alternate travel mode — rail, light rail or bus — including private bus carriers.
Share Your Snow Photos on South Orange Patch!
Rather than grumble, grab one of those new digital devices you received this holiday season and start snapping photos.
Email your photos to Editor Eric Goodman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, download the Patch mobile app and add the photo directly from your phone.