It’s the first- and for many most favorite - meal of the day. Thanks to many local eateries, it’s also one of the most affordable. From hot cakes to hot coffee, bagels to breakfast sandwiches, here are some affordable, delicious options that really do put the ‘special’ in breakfast specials!
Here are some scrumptious- and savvy – options in our three towns.
First stop, Maplewood:
- Kari’s Café sits cheerfully on a bustling corner of Springfield Avenue and owner Kari Capone has been expanding her menu to fit the needs and tastes of her customers.
Already a cozy go-to spot for gourmet coffee, and fresh baked sweet treats, Kari’s now also serving up a stellar breakfast special: Scrambled Egg and Cheese sandwich on a Portuguese roll for $2.95. “They’re really popular,” says Kari, adding with a laugh. “They’re selling like hotcakes!” 1883 Springfield Ave, 973-762-6788
– The gang at Bagel Chateau are all about straight forward good eats. You won’t find bells, whistles or fancy service here- what you will get is hearty fare and coffee strong enough to give you a jump start on anything your day’s gonna throw at you.
Breakfast specials here are basic and dependably good. The #1 will set you back $2.99 and features 2 eggs any style, house potato and your choice of bagel, roll or bread. The number two adds bacon or boiled ham for $4.25. “Fresh is the best, and we’re all about fresh,” says Alan, an owner and one of the fellas fielding orders behind the counter with old-school calm, no matter how packed the place gets. Oh- and there’s also option of a grabbing a fresh bagel to go for just .80! 180 Maplewood Avenue, 973-762-1707
Next, on to South Orange:
– You’ll be hard pressed to find a more gourmet to go situation than Eden’s new Deli counter Breakfast Special. Their made to order breakfast egg & cheese sandwiches come on your choice of bagel, roll, wrap or croissant for $2.49. Add $1 to add meat. The popular custom order breakfast buffet includes scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, home fries and more for $4.99 a pound. As Deli manager Fred Baram puts is, "What better way to start the day than with great food?" 1 S Orange Ave, 973-762-5200
– This South Orange Avenue spot serves up their breakfast (and lunch) specials ALL day long, which makes the cost effective #1 (Two eggs on a bagel or roll with a small coffee, $3.99) an appetizing option at any hour. Another popular order is their #4 (Walnut raisin cream cheese on a bagel or roll with small coffee) which will also set you back $3.99. 8 South Orange Avenue, 973-313-1800
And last, but not least, Millburn:
- Nothing goes better with great breakfast than great coffee, and Rockn’ Joe serves up both all day long. The favorite order here – around the clock – is the Platinum Platter (Challah bread French toast, scrambled eggs and bacon, served with a side of fruit. Granted, it’s $9.95 but it knocks out most every food craving and food group!
Lesser priced ala carte options abound here, too, but as owner points out, “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so why not make it extra special?” (Um, you had me at Challah!) 63 Main Street, 973-376-6111
Hope these will lead you to some