The following is a brief unofficial recap of many items that occurred or were discussed at the November 12, 2012 BOT Meeting. Official minutes will be posted online at www.southorange.org when they are available or the video can be viewed on-demand at southorange.org/videoViewer.asp
- The Board discussed Hurricane Sandy, thanked Police, Fire and DPW staff, and discussed ways to improve communication if/when there is a next time.
Resolution 2012-250 requesting that the NJ BPU and Legislature conducts an investigation of information, communication and emergency preparedness, passed 6-0
- George Matias - Thanked everyone for response during the storm
- Tami Thonton - Inquired why South Orange was last on the list to have power restored
- Eugene ? -Encouraged BOT to have PSEG maintain power infrastructure better
- John Purkert - Expressed concerns about accuracy of information and PSEG infrastructure
- ? - Expressed concerns about detours for closed roads at the end of a road
- Janine Buckner - Thanked residents for being proactive
- Alyssa Aronson - "Put yourselves in South Orange residents shoes"
Resolution 2012-229 - establishing reasons why a local landmarks ordinance is being adopted, passed 6-0
Ordinance on Second Reading
Ordinance 2012-19 Ordinance to amend Village Code to provide for single stream recycling, passed 6-0
Ordinance on First Reading
Ordinance 2012-16 - Ordinance to define local landmarks, passed 6-0
Ordinance 2012-21 - Authorizing private sale of a portion of municipally owned land, passed 4-1-1 (I opposed and Trustee Bauer recused herself) This was for a small piece of property behind Poss Law Office and Georgio's Restaurant
Ordinance 2012-22 - Authorizing transfer of PILOT for "The Avenue" to a new purchaser, passed 4-2 (myself and Trustee Gould opposed)
10 resolutions on Consent Agenda, passed 6-0
- Village Administrator is working on a Framework for Budget; Budget Workshop scheduled for Dec 13 at 7:30pm
- Village Hall - asbestos report expected shortly
- Link to proposal for the development of the 3rd/Valley site will be posted to Village website
- RFPs for Professional Services contracts will be sent to Purchasing Agent and distributed to BOT; goal is to have them sent out by end of the month.
- Employee Evaluations are done
- Employee Paid Holidays - committee proposes to reduce number of holidays from 15 to 12 (eliminating Lincoln's Birthday, Election Day and Columbus Day)
- Revisions to Pay to Play Ordinance - committee is proposing changing ordinance to allow that smaller contracts should be available via quoting
2012 BOT Meeting Schedule - Beginning January 1, BOT Meetings will revert back to the old format of Special Meeting/Conference Agenda on the 2nd Monday of each month and Regular Meetings on the 4th Monday of each month. Executive Session will be held at 7:30pm and the public meeting will be begin at 8pm.
First Night 2013 - First Night Board informed us that First Night will not be held this year and they are seeking new volunteers to carry on the event. Any organizations or individuals in our communities who want to see New Year’s Eve events continue, should visit www.firstnightmwso.org, and/or email Sandra Dick with any inquiry at: Dicksan@verizon.net.
For any questions or comments, please post below or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org