The following is a brief unofficial recap of many items that occurred or were discussed at the February 11, 2013 BOT Meeting. Official minutes will be posted online at www.southorange.org when they are available or the video can be viewed on-demand at southorange.org/videoViewer.asp
Note: I was away on business for the meeting, but wrote his re-cap from watching the meeting video. Trustee Gould was also absent for this meeting.
Ordinances on First Reading
Ordinance 2013-03 - Amending the Village Code to provide for special assessments for costs incurred by the Joint Meeting (passed 4-0)
Ordinance 2013-04 - Authorizing a Special Assessment of $25 be added to the sewer charge (passed 4-0)
- Village Hall renovation - Asbestos Assessment is being reviewed as scope of area to be remediated has increased 30% over original study; Cost estimates on construction will be provided shortly; Costs on trailers are higher than anticipated, so looking at office space as an alternative for staff during renovation
- Search for Deputy Administrator is underway
- Budget Workshop scheduled for Feb 12 at 7:30pm
- South Orange Commons (former Beifus site) - finalizing Developer's agreement; Developer looking to break ground in mid-March with construction expected to take approximately 18 months.
- 3rd/Valley - Jonathan Rose working on site plan and they are hoping to break ground in November; still need to identify location for relocation of parking during construction.
Finance & IT
- Expectation to have initial Capital Budget at next BOT Meeting
- Will be placing Financial Reports on the website
- Discussed ICMA recommendations - looking at additional License Plate Readers and camera locations. Looking at CAD (computer aided dispatch) systems.
- Everbridge rollout is on hold
- Creating RFP for purchase of Natural Gas
Legal & Personnel
- Conducted search for Deputy Municipal Clerk and making an offer to a candidate with a goal for them to start in next 30 days
- Conducting search for Deputy Administrator and job is posted online at http://southorange.org/employmentVillage.asp
- Resolution authorizing sale of Old Stone House will be on next agenda
- Ordinance repealing some Ordinances against some "crimes" that have been deemed unconstitutional will be on the next agenda
Planning & Zoning
- Meeting on February 20
- Reviewing RFPs for Planner
- Meeting on February 19
- Working to get proposal from County to remedy flooding on N. Wyoming Ave.
- Discussed expanding street fair and having the vendor pick up the costs. Vendor agreed to pickup up to $750 of the costs.
- Pool is planning for Memorial Day weekend opening
- RFP went out for pool food vendors
Youthnet Service Level Agreement - agreement has been drafted based on services being provided and Rec Committee recommended moving forward with it on next meeting agenda
Open Space Trust Fund Policy - Trustee Bauer proposed a policy that would allow utilization of the Open Space Trust Fund for maintenance. Trustee Rosner raised the question of the role that the Open Space Advisory Committee should play and that Open Space priorities should be discussed at an upcoming Budget Meeting.
Water, Sewer Access for Old Stone House - Trustee Bauer proposed getting an estimate from an Engineer to provide utility access to the Old Stone House, but there was no consensus to spend additional money. A resolution authorizing sale of Old Stone House will be on next agenda
Traffic Light on Scotland/Raymond - A discussion was held about the proposed traffic light at Scotland/Raymond.
- John Sammaro - Expressed support for traffic light at Scotland/Raymond
- George Matias - Expressed support for traffic light at Scotland/Raymond
- Michael Jensen - raised concern about child safety - based on construction for the Parking Authority at the Baird Center and resistance to a traffic light on Scotland
For any questions or comments, please post below or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org