The following is a brief unofficial recap of many items that occurred or were discussed at the June 25, 2012 BOT Meeting. Official minutes will be posted online at www.southorange.org when they are available or the video can be viewed on-demand at southorange.org/videoViewer.asp
Note: I was out of town on business and participated by phone. Since I was unable to hear much of the conversation, this recap was done by watching the video.
- Villagers of the Month awards were presented to Sarah Hilton and Alexis Ballard
- South Orange Greenway Plan - Presentation by Hatch MacDonald about plans for subsequent phases of the River Greenway plan
- Amy Dahn - expressed support for the creation of an Historic Preservation Commission
- Karen Marlowe - expressed support for the creation of an Historic Preservation Commission
- Catherine Sullivan - expressed support for the creation of an Historic Preservation Commission
Ordinances on First Reading
Ordinance 2012-09 Creating a Historic Preservation Commission, passed 6-0
Due to material changes made from the Planning Board, the revised Ordinance previously passed on First Reading on May 30 was re-introduced and passed on First Reading
5 items on Consent Agenda, passed 6-0
Resolution 2012-158 passed 5-0 (I abstained since I was unable to hear the discussion)
- Robert Sandow - expressed opposition to bills in the NJ legislature that would allow private universities to be exempt from local zoning jurisdiction and urged the BOT to pass a resolution sharing such opposition
Single Stream Recycling will start on Wednesday July 11. Mailer with further details should be received by all residents this week. Existing toters can continue to be used.
Bids for Crest Drive improvements were received but exceeded the engineer's estimate. Village Administrator/Engineer met with the bidder, clarified the specs and are awaiting a response from the bidder.
Received a letter from DCA approving the reinstatement of the Sterling PILOT.
Received information from vendor on a demo site for a 311 system
Finance & IT
- Making progress in implementation of Village Wide Area Network (WAN).
- Reviewed the Service Level Agreement for the CCR but were unable to come to an agreement on what it should contain. Administrator to present a recommendation for the next Finance Committee meeting scheduled for July 3
- Proposing that Reorganization Committee meet on Friday at noon
- Next Meeting on July 9 at 6:15pm
Planning and Zoning
- Reviewed and rejected proposed zoning changes to Redevelopment Plan which would allow medical offices on the ground floor of the Redevelopment Zone. Will discuss again when Planner shares revisions.
- Reviewed the revised Historic Preservation Commission Ordinance
- National Night Out 2012 - Citizens Public Safety Committee would like to proceed with this event, but needed to confirm that funding is available. Village Administrator has confirmed that funding will be available and planning for the August 7 event can proceed.
- Meeting on June 28 at 6:30pm
- Administrator meeting with Public Works to coordinate what responsibilities will transfer from Public Works to the SID
- Meeting on June 28 at 6:30pm
Village Hall renovation - Agreement was reached to proceed with the use of trailers on 2nd Street for the relocation of Village Hall staff during the renovation.
RFPs for Professional Services - BOT to put out RFPs for new professionals later this year to take effect in January. In the meantime, Village Administrator will ensure we have contracts in place for all current professional services.
S-1534, Exempting Private Colleges and Universities from Local Zoning Jurisdiction - BOT agreed to have a resolution opposing this legislation at the next meeting
Complete Streets Policy - to be discussed at next meeting
Resolution/Ordinance Designating Historic Properties, Sites and Districts in South Orange - Trustee Bauer made a suggestion to adopt a local landmark ordinance so local landmarks are subject to the Historic Preservation Commission Ordinance. This will be discussed at the next Planning and Zoning Committee.
Moving Municipal Elections to November Ballot Question - Trustee Bauer suggested having a binding referendum in November asking the voters if the Municipal Election should be moved to November, starting next year. Village Counsel will provide a memo with an opinion on whether this can be done and it will be discussed at the next BOT Meeting
Status of security gate at T-Mobile - Meeting occurred with NJ Transit and Property Manager and Village was advised to setup meeting with Landlord.