.

Firefighters Extinguish Early Morning House Fire

Floor beams near a chimney in a South Orange home caught fire at about 3 a.m. Sunday.

South Orange firefighters extinguished a house fire early Sunday morning, according to Fire Chief Jeff Markey.

Floor beams near a fireplace in the North Wyoming Avenue home were the cause of the fire, according to Markey. Firefighters received the call shortly after 3 a.m. while they were out for another call that ended up being a false alarm, so they were able to arrive on the scene in just minues.

Firefighters arrived to find smoke coming from lights in the basement ceiling, but smoke detectors in the home were not working, according to Markey. They opened up the basement ceiling and the first floor near the fireplace to extinguish the fire.

The home suffered from heavy smoke damage throughout and there was also fire and water damage to the first floor and basement. There were no injuries.

Firefighters from Maplewood assisted with the overhaul after the fire was out.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something