The Reservoir is an old-school, family-owned-and-operated Italian restaurant serving the best pizza and sausage in a state known for pizza, depending on who you talk to. They do a heavy-duty take-out business and catering both on and off site (funerals included).
Reservoir is very kid- and family-friendly, particularly on Mondays, which is "Make Your Own Pizza Night". For years, Reservoir has hosted regulars, including reporters, pols, neighbors and descendants of the original customers. The private party room seats up to 45 people.
The Reservoir Club was started in Newark by Vincenza Agnellino, grandfather of the two siblings who now own it, at a time when pizza was called "tomato pie". In 1965, the restaurant relocated to West South Orange Avenue, not far from the train station and adjacent to a town parking lot. The decor is straightforward; the pizza recipe (although now with many more toppings) is the same as in 1935; the atmosphere is "all in the neighborhood." Check out the family history, featured in the main room. And remember, they restaurant accepts cash only.
- Hours: Lunch: Mon, Wed - Fri, 11:30am - 2:30pm; Sat, Sun, Tue, closed for lunch. Dinner: Mon, 4:30pm - 9:30pm; Wed - Sat, 4:30pm - 10pm; Sun, 3pm - 9:30pm; Tue, closed.
- Handicap Accessible: There is a ramp at the entrance and the nearby town parking lot has handicapped parking.
- Payments accepted: Cash
- General services: Catering, Eat-in
- Specialties: Italian cuisine from appetizers to dessert, 20 kinds of pizza (create your own pizza day on Mondays), chicken and veal entrees, pasta, "Tony salad", seafood, home-made soup, dessert (tortoni, cannoli)
- ATM: No
- Parking: Free lot
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizza, Seafood
- Signature dishes: Pizza, chicken/sausage parmigiana, lasagna
- Price level: $$
- Reservations: Accepted
- Number of tables: 90
- Features: BYOB-only, Catering, Group-friendly, Lunch, Private Parties
- Dress code: Casual