Who to Call: For information on the housing code, call the Department of Code Enforcement and Inspections, 973-378-7715, ext. 7700.
- The housing code is laid out in the Property Maintenance and Housing Standards ordinance.
- Its stipulations for residential facilities include:
- Every dwelling unit must have a sink, a flush-type toilet, lavatory, and a bathtub or shower.
- Every lodging house must have a flush-type toilet, lavatory, and a bathtub or shower for every eight people.
- Every toilet, lavatory, and bathtub or shower for dwelling units or lodging houses must be accessible without passing through any other units; in a lodging house, it must be located no more than one floor above or below.
- Kitchen sinks, lavatories, and bathtubs or showers must be connected to hot and cold water.
- Every unit must be equipped with smoke detectors, as per the Fire Prevention Code.
- Every unit must be equipped with carbon monoxide detectors at a minimum of one per floor.