Who to Call: Noise complaints are handled by the South Orange Police Department, 973-763-3000 or 973-378-7772.
- Residents bothered by noise from a neighbor's property should call the main number of the Police department.
- After 10 p.m., noisemakers are in violation of local ordinance. Before 10 p.m., police will intervene as mediators.
- Residents with a chronic problem not addressed by calling in to the main desk (e.g., neighbors who frequently have noisy fights) can call Community Relations at 973-763-3000, ext. 7802.
- Common objects of noise complaints are Seton Hall partiers and groups of schoolchildren.
- According to local ordinances, the following are exempt from noise violations:
- Noise from lawn mowers, leaf blowers and agricultural equipment when used with a muffler from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on weekdays and 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. on weekends or holidays.
- Sound from church bells during religious observances.
- Noise from construction, provided that motorized equipment has working mufflers (with some exceptions). Noise from snow blowers, provided the equipment has working mufflers.
- Noise from external burglar alarms, provided they shut off within 15 minutes.
- Noise from power tools like circular saws, saber saws and nail guns, provided they can't be heard beyond residential property lines.