Sunday, March 3, 2013
No injuries were reported in Saturday night blaze.
A fire broke out on the second floor of a two-story house at 320 Tichnor Ave. on Saturday night, the South Orange Fire Department has confirmed, temporarily displacing two residents. The accidental fire broke out a little after 7:30 p.m. and was caused by an inflammable cloth that was draped over a standing lamp in the bedroom on the second floor, according to South Orange Fire Chief Jeff Markey. The second floor sustained water and smoke damage. The fire department advised the residents to stay somewhere else for the night, according to Markey. No injuries were reported, but the male resident was treated for smoke inhalation on the scene, Markey said. Around 8:50 p.m., firefighters left the scene. "The fire was quickly extinguished …
Monday, November 26, 2012
Floor beams near a chimney in a South Orange home caught fire at about 3 a.m. Sunday.
South Orange firefighters extinguished a house fire early Sunday morning, according to Fire Chief Jeff Markey. Floor beams near a fireplace in the North Wyoming Avenue home were the cause of the fire, according to Markey. Firefighters received the call shortly after 3 a.m. while they were out for another call that ended up being a false alarm, so they were able to arrive on the scene in just minues. Firefighters arrived to find smoke coming from lights in the basement ceiling, but smoke detectors in the home were not working, according to Markey. They opened up the basement ceiling and the first floor near the fireplace to extinguish the fire. The home suffered from heavy smoke damage throughout and there was also fire and water damage to …
Monday, July 2, 2012
Fire officials evacuate Laurel Avenue home in Union over the weekend after thermal imaging camera reveals basement fire.
A quick-moving three-alarm structure fire Saturday on Laurel Avenue in Union turned dangerous when the home was almost completely destroyed, fire officials said Sunday. South Orange Fire Department and the South Orange Rescue Squad were on the scene. When firefighters first arrived at 86 Laurel Ave. around 6:30 p.m., they were greeted with heavy smoke and fire conditions, according to Maplewood Fire Capt. Joe Callaghan. “We attacked the fire through the front door,” Callaghan said, but shortly after entering the home, firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to find the source of the fire and discovered the fire read white, meaning it was “really hot.” Firefighters determined the blaze was a basement fire. A short while later, …
Saturday, December 3, 2011
South Orange Fire Chief visits Caldwell College to share knowledge of fire prevention and safety.
- POLICE & FIRE
Saturday, December 3, 2011
When Caldwell Fire Chief Anthony Grenci was asked recently to talk to the members of the Delta Phi Epsilon-Gamma Lamdba Chapter sorority about fire safety on the campus of Caldwell College, Grenci reached out to his peers in the fire service in South Orange. South Orange Fire Department Chief Jeff Markey and Captain Daniel Sullivan were able to speak to the Caldwell College students from experience. The two were members of the department at the time of the fatal fire at Seton Hall University's Boland Hall in 2000. The fire killed three residents of the freshman dormitory, injured dozens and endangered hundreds more. Two students who set the fire as a prank were sentenced to five years imprisonment. With their first-hand knowledge of the …